Bureau of Communications was created by the 44th Texas Legislature.
The documentation is: Acts 1935, 44th Legislature, page 444, Chapter 181, Section 1.
1.The director, with the advice and consent of the commission, shall appoint the chief of the bureau of communications.
2.The bureau of communications shall:
Provide for the rapid exchange between law enforcement agencies of the state, counties, municipalities, other states, and the federal government of information concerning the commission of crimes and the detection of violators of the law; and
establish and operate, in coordination with state, county, and municipal law enforcement agencies, a state roads blockade system.
3.If funds are provided, the bureau of communications may install and operate a police radio broadcasting information concerning the activities and functions of the law enforcement agencies of the state, counties, and municipalities.The bureau shall cooperate with county and municipal police authorities and police radio stations in this state and other states.
Tele-typewriter machines were installed in Austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, Tyler, Dallas and Amarillo (some at State owned facilities, others at Police Departments)
DPS RADIO STATION "KTXA" DPS Austin opened. Operated on (one way) 1658 Khz AM
Arlington (Dallas) DPS opened
Tyler DPS opened
Boerne DPS opened
Harlingen DPS opened
Cal-Allen (Corpus Christi) DPS opened
Blue Ridge (Houston) DPS opened
Lubbock DPS opened
San Angelo DPS opened
Abilene DPS opened
Amarillo DPS opened
Radio frequency changed from 1658 Khz. AM to VHF-FM 42.900 / 42.740 Mhz.
Midland DPS opened
Lufkin DPS opened
OctoberCarrizo Springs DPS opened
Telecommunications service established to 12 DPS facilities utilizing model 19 (KSR 60wpm).