Bureau of Communications was created by the 44th Texas Legislature.
The documentation is: Acts 1935, 44th Legislature, page 444, Chapter 181,
- The director, with the advice and consent of the commission, shall appoint
the chief of the bureau of communications.
- The bureau of communications shall:
- Provide for the rapid exchange between law enforcement agencies of the state,
counties, municipalities, other states, and the federal government of information
concerning the commission of crimes and the detection of violators of the law;
- establish and operate, in coordination with state, county, and municipal
law enforcement agencies, a state roads blockade system.
- If funds are provided, the bureau of communications may install and operate
a police radio broadcasting information concerning the activities and functions
of the law enforcement agencies of the state, counties, and municipalities. The
bureau shall cooperate with county and municipal police authorities and police
radio stations in this state and other states.
Tele-typewriter machines were installed in Austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi,
Tyler, Dallas and Amarillo (some at State owned facilities, others at Police Departments)
DPS RADIO STATION "KTXA" DPS Austin opened. Operated on (one way) 1658 Khz AM
- Arlington (Dallas) DPS opened
- Tyler DPS opened
- Boerne DPS opened
- Harlingen DPS opened
- Cal-Allen (Corpus Christi) DPS opened
- Blue Ridge (Houston) DPS opened
- Lubbock DPS opened
- San Angelo DPS opened
- Amarillo DPS opened
- Radio frequency changed from 1658 Khz. AM to VHF-FM 42.900 / 42.740 Mhz.
- Carrizo Springs DPS opened
- Telecommunications service established to 12 DPS facilities utilizing model 19